Friday, July 8, 2011

never underestimate the value of a good proofreader!

I am editing a book. Out of my usual realm, I know, but I’m good at it and do it on a regular basis for all my clients.

My parents' insistence on proper English (reinforced by the nuns!) has served me well both personally and professionally. Not everyone is good at this, just as some people are good at math and some are not, and some people are good at spelling and some are not. Everyone’s brain works differently, and this has more to do with perception than intelligence. It’s extremely difficult to proofread your own copy. You know what the text is supposed to say and your brain will fill in the way you it is rather than the way it written. But being grammatically correct is important- it conveys an attention to detail, and no one will hire you if they perceive you as sloppy.

There has been much written in the past few years about the inability of recent grads to compose a proper business letter. Maybe the emphasis on learning foreign languages to adjust to the increasingly global community has left little time for schools to focus on our own, but proper grammar and spelling convey a message the same way your appearance does- it shows you care. There may be no need to sound erudite or overly intellectual, but your content should be consistent, correct, and clearly convey your message.

Put our knowledge and expertise to work for your business— visit our webpage and then contact Canzani Graphics today! All content ©2011Canzani Graphics

1 comment:

  1. I wish I'd known you had this additional skill! Will keep you in mind for future projects.

    ReplyDelete