Thursday, June 30, 2011

my pet peeve: job postings

I've been a successful freelancer for a long time, but I like to keep an eye on job postings and one of my pet peeves is the disconnect between job descriptions and the actual work required. I don't know if it's an HR problem, or if it's job posters trying to sound particularly sophisticated, but most of the time I have NO idea what they are even talking about. It makes me wonder if they do. Really, the level of blather involved is mind-boggling.

The other thing that always gets me is when the job poster specifies that you must know particular software and then lists old versions of the programs. Are they trying to warn you that the employer doesn't keep current on software packages, or don't they know what the current version is? Really, if you can't take care of the job posting, how can I expect you to take care with the clients and projects?

OK, getting down off my soap box now. Thanks for listening.

Put our knowledge and expertise to work for your business— visit our webpage and then contact Canzani Graphics today!
All content ©2011Canzani Graphics

2 comments:

  1. 100% agree with you. I also dislike how they try to over qualify a job within the description. They probably think they will entice people with higher qualifications but are most likely scaring away people who might actually be perfect for that particular position. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Erick. I knew I couldn't be the only one who feels this way!

    ReplyDelete