Thursday, June 23, 2011

monetary value of design

Should logo design pricing take usage into account? I was once asked by another agency to design a logo for a large pharmaceutical client’s new heart drug. They needed it in a couple of hours and the pay was paltry. I responded that the only way I would do it was if the client accepted one of my designs, I would be contracted to complete the job and further compensated. They declined. Did they really expect me to drop what I was doing, dash off a couple of comps and then stand aside while they reaped the rewards of my work? Obviously they were desperate, but their tactics were despicable, imho.

This story does brings up an interesting question, though: if the same amount of work is involved in designing a logo for a local sub shop as for global conglomerate, should the price differ with usage? I know this grossly oversimplifies the problem, but do you charge differently for work that will reach a wide audience vs. that which will only be used locally? Working with huge corporations requires more time than with a local owner, but the design process is largely the same. If I design a winning logo and your product goes global, do I get any more compensation than a great portfolio piece and a pat on the back? Does design differ from widgets? Join the conversation and post your thoughts!

NAPP logo
Put our knowledge and expertise to work for your business— visit our webpage and then contact Canzani Graphics today!
All content ©2011Canzani Graphics

No comments:

Post a Comment